Cashews, Frozen = Delicious
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (or overnight), then drained
- 1 cup light coconut milk (or sub another dairy free milk, such as almond or rice)
- 3 packets chai tea (or ~4 tsp loose leaf, or sub black tea for a more subtle chai flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or sub honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and ginger powder
- Optional: 1/4 tsp each black pepper, ground cloves and cardamom
- Set your churning bowl in the freezer the night before to chill. Soak your cashews the night before as well, or for at least 4-6 hour before blending.
- When ready to prepare ice cream, steep your chai tea in 3/4 cup boiling water for at least 10 minutes. It should be very strong. Remove tea bags, squeezing out excess tea, and let cool in the fridge.
- In the meantime, drain cashews and measure out other ingredients.
- Add tea and all remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth – about 3-4 minutes, using liquify if you have the option. Taste and adjust sweetness/flavors as needed.
- Add mixture to your chilled ice cream maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until thoroughly chilled, about 45 minutes. It should resemble thick soft serve.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container, cover and freeze until hard – at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Will keep in the freezer for up to a week.
*Inspired by / loosely adapted from Isa Chandra.
*Preparation time reflects hands-on preparation, not soaking cashews and extra freezing.